[Postponed TBD] Independence Creek and Diamond Y Bioblitz: 15-18 Sept 2023

[Postponed: this event has been postponed--hopefully we can reschedule]

Two unique West Texas properties, owned by The Nature Conservancy, will be the focus of a fall bioblitz! Both locations feature a spring--that precious source of cool water in the desert (but no aquatic collecting will be allowed). TNC is especially interested in us contributing to knowledge of odonate diversity at Diamond Y.

The plan is for Independence Creek to be our home base, with a day excursion to Diamond Y on Saturday (for those that want to). They're not too far apart (as measured in Texas distance).

We can start arriving Friday and spend Friday, Saturday, and Sunday nights at IC.

Here's a map showing both locations.

Thanks to @knightericm for making arrangements and TNC staff for welcoming us to these unique properties.

Details regarding facilities at Independence Creek will be posted when available.


Publicado el marzo 15, 2023 12:28 MAÑANA por pfau_tarleton pfau_tarleton

Comentarios

This sounds like a great combo-bioblitz! Planning on participating.

Publicado por annikaml hace más de 1 año

Adding this to my calendar. Thanks for organizing it!

Publicado por amzapp hace más de 1 año

Definitely interested.

Publicado por rymcdaniel hace más de 1 año

Wonderful! Sign me up. =)

Publicado por k8thegr8 hace más de 1 año

I'm in. I was near both locations during my southwest Texas tour last spring but passed through quickly. I made some interesting roadside stops along 190 though. Several were along the San Saba River. Rather limited areas, but full of arthropods at least.

Publicado por eaneubauer hace más de 1 año

Looking forward to it!

Publicado por bosqueaaron hace más de 1 año

Provided I have any time off available I am absolutely going to try to make this one.

Publicado por brentano hace más de 1 año

I'm definitely interested! Will have to see how my time off works out. Pretty sure I'll be moving houses AGAIN in September, so we'll see as it gets closer.

Publicado por kimberlietx hace más de 1 año

Is there lodging on site or is it tent camping?

Publicado por williampaulwhite17 hace más de 1 año

@chasingchickens and I are interested!! Adding this to the calendar :)

Publicado por wildcarrot hace alrededor de 1 año

This is penciled in my calendar!

Publicado por lovebirder hace alrededor de 1 año

On the calendar!

Publicado por k8thegr8 hace alrededor de 1 año

Ill be planning on making it to this as well!

Publicado por dillon_kyle hace alrededor de 1 año

While attempting to walk from my parking lot to my office without succumbing to heat stroke, I contemplated our bioblitz scheduled for mid September about a month away. I have a feeling that we will still be experiencing 100+ degrees in mid-September.

Given that this may be a once-in-a-lifetime trip for some of us, what are folk's thoughts on rescheduling it to a month that may be more favorable temperature-wise?

Publicado por pfau_tarleton hace 12 meses

Coming up pretty quick, isn't it? I could tough it out like I did in Mason County lately, but there was a huge chunk of the day that was useless. Would it be worth postponing it 3 weeks?
Remember the TMN annual meeting is October 12-16. I don't know how many of us would be going, but I'm locked in (paid money, made reservations, doing a presentation).

Publicado por eaneubauer hace 12 meses

The heat right now is absolutely kicking my butt, and (from what little I've been out doing) animal activity seems pretty low too.

Publicado por williampaulwhite17 hace 12 meses

During mid-October last year Independence Creek had a ton of activity and the weather was beautiful, but it was also wetter in the month or two up to that point than it's looking this year

Publicado por mpintar hace 12 meses

I'm also locked in to the Master Naturalist Conference, but I agree that looking at other dates might be worthwhile.

Publicado por bosqueaaron hace 12 meses

Im also in agreement to push it back a bit in hopes of cooler weather but will still plan on going if we keep the date the same.

Publicado por dillon_kyle hace 12 meses

October would probably be better. The heat is brutal and above 90 degrees is still common in October...

Publicado por k8thegr8 hace 12 meses

I definitely agree pushing it back would be good!

Publicado por wildcarrot hace 12 meses

I'll support whatever decision you make.

Publicado por amzapp hace 12 meses

I am still on board for September, especially as some of the species I am most interested in in that area are most likely to be blooming then (if at all since they are annuals). I am not sure if I would be able to make it in October, but would likely still try.

Publicado por rymcdaniel hace 12 meses

I can make either the original dates or later in October, but I’m locked in to the TMN conference in McAllen, October 11 - 15.

Publicado por inhat83 hace 12 meses

I'm fine with moving it. Nothing planned on my end after October 8th.

Publicado por annikaml hace 12 meses

I'm canceling the Independence Creek/Diamond Y bioblitz due to heat and drought. The property manager is also no longer working there, and I've not been able to get in touch with the alternate contact. We'll work to reschedule this at some point in the future.

Publicado por pfau_tarleton hace 11 meses

Ah bummer, is Diamond Y still happening or we rescheduling both?

Publicado por knightericm hace 11 meses

Rescheduling both. I edited my post to clarify.

Publicado por pfau_tarleton hace 11 meses

Thanks for clarifying.

Publicado por eaneubauer hace 11 meses

Thanks for the update.

Publicado por rymcdaniel hace 11 meses

OK... bummer. Timberlake this fall?

Publicado por k8thegr8 hace 11 meses

Maybe the quarry? If we ever get any rain?

Publicado por bosqueaaron hace 11 meses

Yes, please!

Publicado por k8thegr8 hace 11 meses

Looks like Independence Creek AND Diamond Y just got some decent rain yesterday, but probably not enough...

Publicado por knightericm hace 11 meses

They definitely should have received rain last Sunday. I was caught in a downpour on 190, and the storms probably stopped traffic on I-10 west of Ozona.

Publicado por kucycads hace 11 meses

Hope this puts me in the loop for this one.... Did not realize it was postponed until I decided I needed to find out the particulars for this weekend!

Publicado por connlindajo hace 10 meses

Sorry Linda Jo...you're in the loop now.

Since the change in management of these properties, I have still yet to receive replies to my emails. Hopefully they'll have a new property manager soon so that we can attempt to reschedule.

Publicado por pfau_tarleton hace 10 meses

I'm not sure how "soon" the new manager will be there since The Nature Conservancy of Texas just posted an add on Facebook about the position. :-/

Publicado por annikaml hace 10 meses

We'll aim for spring or next fall

Publicado por pfau_tarleton hace 10 meses

Agregar un comentario

Acceder o Crear una cuenta para agregar comentarios.